A classic Mexican breakfast nosh-up that quite frankly can be eaten anytime of the day!
Protein packed with beans & tofu that even the omnis won’t ask about that same old question that drives us all batty! 😉
Serve it with hot naan bread or a simple fluffy white rice and bask in the glory of the visual presentation…clever little vegans!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red capsicum, chunky cut
- I punnet cherry tomatoes
- 400g tin crushed tomatoes
- 440g tin red kidney beans, drained
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- 300g silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 fresh green jalapeño chilli, sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Heat oil in a large pot and cook garlic, cumin, onion, capsicum. Stir for a few minutes until soft.
- Stir in cherry tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, kidney beans and add water.
- Simmer for 15 minutes and season to taste. Add optional chilli powder if you like.
- Pour mixture into a large baking tray.
- Blend or puree the silken tofu until smooth.
- Spoon tofu mix onto the mixture in the baking tray in 3-4 circles.
- Mix the nutritional yeast and water together to make a loose paste.
- Using a teaspoon add the yeast mixture to the centre of each tofu circle.
- Place the sliced jalapeño on the top liberally.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice or hot flat bread.