Cauliflower Mac with Roasted Hazelnuts.
This comforting dish is delicious and versatile as it can serve as a day to day family meal yet with the crunchy sour dough and roast hazelnut topping it gives it a whole lot of pizzazz that qualifies it as a dinner party dish too!
Serve with a crisp peppery rocket salad and you’ll have a family favourite on your hands. Yes the kids love it – but hold onto your croutons as they try and pinch the lot!
- 500g packet of Macaroni
- ½ small Cauliflower , cut into florets
- 2 ½ cups of water
- ½ cup of plain flour
- ½ cup of nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ cup non – dairy spread
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 3-4 slices sourdough bread, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy spread, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 180c.
- Cook pasta in large saucepan of boiling salted water until cooked (5-6minutes). Add the cauliflower florets after 3 minutes. Drain and return cauliflower & pasta to pan.
- In a small saucepan place water, flour, nutritional yeast flakes, salt, garlic powder & mustard powder. Whisk over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in margarine & mustard powder. Pour over cooked, drained & rinsed pasta & cauliflower. Season to taste, add thyme and pour into a baking dish or heavy ovenproof pot.
- In a frypan, lightly roast the hazelnuts; keep moving them around on a high heat for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the pan and place in a food processer. Add the roughly chopped sour dough bread & parsley. Pulse briefly. You want the hazelnuts to be chopped in ½ to a ¼ and not make the mixture crumbly. Nice and rough with large pieces of bread.
- Top the macaroni with the sour dough & hazelnut topping. Pour over the melted non-dairy spread and place in the oven, uncovered for 5-10 minutes. (If you have a grill option on your oven this is even better to toast the top of your dish.)
- Serve with a rocket salad.
- Options: Leave out the pasta and make this a vegetable bake.