Jalapeño & Mexican Bean Enchiladas
Show me a person that does not like a hot cheesy enchilada! Nothing beats the combination of rich tomato, biting jalapeños and Mexican beans that double as being super good for you!
No one can find a fault with a vegan enchilada, if you do then we need to discuss it over a large ice filled jug of Sangria while wearing our sombreros. You don’t have to be Mexican to know a good enchilada when you taste one.
- 1 x Onion, diced
- 1 x Zuchini, diced
- 8-10 large Button Mushrooms, quartered
- 1 x Tomato, diced
- 1 x tin Ol El Paso Mexe Beans
- 1 tablespoon Jalapeños, roughly chopped
- 200g Medium Ol El Paso Taco Sauce
- 450g Jumbo Ol El Paso Tortilla Wraps
- Cheese Sauce:
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard powder
- ¼ cup non dairy margarine (Nuttelex)
- Cheese Sauce:
- Combine water, flour, yeast flakes, salt, garlic & mustard powder in a saucepan and over a medium heat, whisk until thickened. When sauce is thick add the margarine and whisk in to combine until its lovely and glossy.
- In a deep frypan or , sauté the onion, zucchini, mushrooms, tomato together. Add the tin of mexe-beans (liquid as well) and throw in the jalapeños. Cook on a medium heat until all heated through and the liquid has reduced by half.
- Prepare your tortilla wraps as per packet directions and lay them out on a plate. Get a large rectangular baking tray to fit the 6 large tortillas and pour a little of the taco sauce into the base of it, with ¼ cup water to keep the base moist.
- Working quickly, place large heaped spoonfuls of the vege-bean minx into the centre of each wrap and roll up. Place in the baking tray, open end down. Continue until they are all finished and then cover the enchiladas with the remaining taco sauce.
- Then pour the cheese sauce luxuriously over the enchiladas, making sure to cover the edges of the baking tray and the gaps between the enchiladas. Add chopped fresh herbs if you like and cover the enchiladas with foil.
- Place the baking tray in the oven for 20-30min at 170c. Remove the foil in the last 10 minutes of baking to brown the top if you wish. Remember to share this with your friends and family, its not all for you! 😉
Cant wait to try this!
Had these last night. Delicious & filling!