Sweet & Sour Battered Tofu
Life was meant to be saucy!
This sweet and sour tofu is prepared with a fluffy carbonated batter and deep-fried for extra crispiness.
- 300g Hard or Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons massel chicken stock powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegan soy sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon corn flour dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon egg replacer
- 1/2 cup mineral water (or water if you do not have any)
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell capsicum
- 1/2 green bell capsicum
- 1/2 cup tinned pineapple pieces
- Deep fryer
- Cut the tofu thinly sliced then cut into 2cm by 2cm cubes. cubes. Coat in the flour & chicken stock powder for at least 20 minutes if possible.
- To prepare the sauce, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, tomato sauce, vegan soy sauce, juice and vinegar. Set aside. In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Set aside.
- Peel the carrot and chop into thin sticks. Cut the bell peppers in half, remove the seeds and cut into cubes.
- Heat the oil for deep–frying.
- For the batter, combine the flour and cornstarch. Stir in the egg replacer. Add as much of the mineral water as is needed to form a thick batter that is neither too dry or too moist.
- Dip the floured tofu cubes in the batter. Deep-fry in batches, taking care not to overcrowd the fryer. Deep-fry the tofu until it is golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- In a wok, add a little oil then add the carrot, onion, green pepper, and pineapple. Add the sweet & sour sauce and stir briskly then thicken with cornstarch mixture, stirring. Stir through the hot deep-fried tofu. Serve the sweet and sour tofu over steamed basmati or jasmine rice.