I simply LOVE Garam Masala, an amazing blend of spices that are mixed, roasted then ground for best results.
Lets face it though, life is crazy busy so this recipe is a full of shortcuts such as the roasting & grinding but you won’t miss out on anything the moment the food touches your tongue!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed
- 2 green chillies, chopped (use less if you wish)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon vegan ‘fish sauce’
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar
- 400ml coconut cream
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 250g firm/hard tofu
- 1/3 packet Udon noodles
- Vietnamese mint to serve
- Pour a tablespoon of oil in a saucepan; add the onion, garlic, ginger, green chillies, turmeric & garam masala and stir over a low heat. Smell the lovely fragrance as those spices roast!
- Add the ‘fish’ sauce, palm sugar, coconut cream, water and salt and bring up the heat, stirring continually. Slice the tofu into batons and place them gently into the sauce. Simmer on very low heat for 5 minutes, adding a little extra water if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Cook the udon noodles as per packet instructions and place them on the serving plate, gently arrange the tofu slices with tongs and ladle the hot spicy creamy sauce all around. Garnish with Vietnamese mint (or sweet thai basil if you have it)