These dumplings are a favourite in our house. I actually have to stop the kids from wanting more than two bowls and if I left the tray unattended they would honestly eat the lot!
Tart Granny Smith apples wrapped in a buttery dough and baked in a lemon sugar syrup and then topped with crunchy hot sugar and cinnamon. See if you can stop at one bowl?
- 4 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 2¼ cups Self Raising Flour
- 90g Non Dairy Spread
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Non Dairy Milk
- Extra Sugar for topping
- Pinch Cinnamon
- Syrup: ½ cup Sugar
- 80g Non Dairy Butter
- 1½ cups Water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 160c.
- Place flour, butter and sugar in a food processor. Add the milk gradually while mixing. When the mixture is starting to look like large breadcrumbs, stop and turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out the dough into a large square roughly 30cm x 30cm. Cut dough into sixteen squares. Place a apple wedge in the centre of each square and wrap dough firmly around it. Place dumplings tightly together in a baking dish.
- Combine all syrup ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil then pour over the dumplings. Sprinkle over additional sugar & cinnamon.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Serve with a large scoop of non-dairy ice cream.