Brown Bread Ice Cream
Seriously…Do not be put off by the title. The brown bread is caramelised in sugar and cinnamon and has all the crunch, texture and flavour as honeycomb! My husband has never forgotten eating this ice cream over 30 years ago! Some recipes are memorable – and this is one of them.
Yes I thought it sounded a little odd myself at first but the flavour and the CRUNCH makes this worth waiting for!
- 250g Brown Bread, crusts removed
- 3 tablespoons Non-Dairy Spread
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Non Dairy Milk
- 1.5 cups Cashew Cream (recipe below)
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 227g tub Tofutti Cream Cheese
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Cashew Cream Recipe:
- 2 cups Raw Cashews
- 2 Bananas
- 1/3 cup Non Dairy Milk
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Crumble the bread until all pieces are small pea sized. In a frypan melt the spread and add the brown bread, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Toss and coat the bread evenly.
- Place the bread onto a baking tray and place in the oven for about 30 minutes. Stir them around a few times during baking and let them become golden brown. The remove and cool.
- Make the cashew cream in the food processor until smooth. Add the ice-cream ingredients into the food processor bowl without removing it and puree for a few minutes.
- The ice cream is now ready to churn in the ice cream machine according to the machines directions. If you do not have an ice cream machine then try to stir the ice cream every 10 minutes while freezing or alternatively pour into a cake or loaf tin to turn out and slice.
- Once churned, fold through about 2/3 of the breadcrumbs and return it to the freezer. Serve topped with the remaining breadcrumbs. Yummo!