This cassata is a long way away from its origin of a Sicilian dairy-filled recipe. Now veganised to be a healthier & kinder version, without sacrificing flavour.
Strikingly attractive with the colourful layers of glace fruits, dark chocolate shards and almonds this slice is highly decorative with a sweet and flavoursome appeal.
- 12 x ice cream wafers
- 1 x 454g tub toffuti ricotta cheese
- 2/3 x 227g tub tofutti cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons agar agar powder
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup green glace cherries, whole
- ½ cup red glace cherries, whole
- ¼ cup glace pineapple
- 2 tablespoons sultanas
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate pieces
- Optional: Brandy or favourite liqueur
- Place 6 ice cream wafers into the base of mini loaf tins. If you do not have a mini loaf tin then simply find a dish or tray that will hold the six ice cream wafers close together so that you can cut it into 6 slices when set)
- In a food processor, combine the ricotta, cream cheese, icing sugar & agar agar. Remove and place in a bowl. Now add the slivered almonds, glace cherries, pineapple, sultanas & dark chocolate pieces. Add a small dash of liqueur now if you wish. Fold all ingredients through until the mixture is well combined then pour into your 6 loaf tins (or dish). Place the remaining ice cream wafers on the top and push down firmly but evenly on each wafer.
- Refrigerate overnight and cut out of the tins with a hot sharp knife.
- Serve with a strawberry coulis and dust liberally with icing sugar for presentation.