Mango & Passionfruit Meringue Roulade
This is a dish for special occasions; the meringue is filled with mango and coconut mousse that is fresh and summery.
The meringue texture is similar to jam roll cake and served with mango syrup ladled over is a sweet treat that is certainly memorable.
- 12 tablespoons egg replacer
- 1.5 cups Chilled water
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons agar agar (or less for a lighter fluffier consistency)
- 4 tablespoons boiling water
- I tablespoon caster sugar (additional)
- 200g tinned mango, pureed (retain syrup)
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon cornflour
- ½ tablespoon flour
- 150ml coconut cream
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons agar agar
- 200g tinned mango slices (retain syrup)
- 4 fresh passionfruit, pulp removed
- Retained mango syrup
- The first thing to do is to make the custard as that will need to cool down before the whipped cream can be added to it. In a saucepan, place the mango puree, sugar & vanilla and bring to a gentle simmer. Mix the cornflour and flour together then add the retained mango syrup, which has been heated in the microwave. Mix well and add back to the pan of hot mango puree mixture. Cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens then remove and set aside to cool. Chill/Cool for 30 minutes.
- Meringue: Preheat the oven to 160c. Line a rectangular baking tray with baking paper. Place the egg replacer and the chilled water in a large bowl and using hand beaters, beat until soft peaks form, adding the sugar gradually. In a separate bowl, mix the agar agar and boiling water briskly and add to the meringue whilst continually beating. When combined, pour onto the lined baking tray and using a spatula ensure that the mixture is evenly spread. Place in the oven for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the additional sugar onto a fresh sheet of paper on a flat surface. Turn out the cooked meringue onto the sugar dusted paper. Gently peel the backing paper away and cool at room temperature.
- Cream: Whip the coconut cream until soft peaks form. Just before it is ready, sprinkle in the icing sugar and agar agar. Fold the whipped cream mixture through the chilled custard.
- Assembly: Spread the custard mixture evenly over the meringue with a spatula. Gently roll the meringue up to create a loose roulade. Set on the serving platter and top with diced mango, passionfruit pulp and a little of the reserved mango syrup.
- Tips: Adjust the agar amounts to change the meringue consistency if you prefer a lighter roulade. Any summer fruits can be swapped for the mango, get adventurous!
- Inspired by Serge Dansereau.
You are a super star xx