A lovely friend dropped off a bag of beautiful Swan Hill apricots, so I whipped this up for afternoon tea.
Apricots to me smell like Summer and bring back memories of a groaning apricot tree and an seemingly endless sound of a pot lid banging in the kitchen with more wonderfully comforting stewed fruit being prepared…
- 1 cup Almond Meal
- 2 cups Self-Raising Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- ½ cup Rice Bran Oil
- 1 cup non-dairy Milk
- 2/3 cup agave syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Optional: Flaked Almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180C . Grease a 9- or 10-inch cake tin and line the bottom with paper.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the almond meal and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, milk, agave syrup, vanilla extract and almond extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and top with slices of fresh apricots. Start with the outside and arrange then around the tin then into the centre. Sprinkle with flakes almonds (optional)
- Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool in its tin for about 30 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack. Leave the cake to cool completely before slicing.